Saturday, June 21, 2008

Nina Meets the Squid Squad

I know you really shouldn't have to have a reason to ride but it doesn't hurt to have one, even a pretty thin one. Such as...

"Since one of the Granbury guys just picked up a new bike, I'm thinking about heading out early Saturday to join them for a ride."

I know it's not really that compelling but with the forecast calling for temps in the lower 90's you've got to get out on the road.

Bright and early today I suited up and made the trek back down to Granbury to hook up with the G-Town Squid Squad for a run to Cranfills Gap.


I pulled into Montes Burritos on 377 in Granbury and right behind me were Misfire, Tye, Doug, Jeff and Diana. I'd ridden with Misfire, Tye and Doug before. As introductions were made it turns out that Jeff is a friend of Chad's and Diana is Doug's daughter. Inside we met a friend of Doug's named Bill and settled in to breakfast. This time I made sure to try the Pirate Breakfast burrito and it really hit the spot. Next time I'll likely ask them to add avacados. Just a quick tip, the green salsa is really good but carries some pretty good heat.

Pretty close to 9:30, we wrapped up breakfast and saddled up and headed off to top off tanks and hit the road. For a late June Texas summer day, you couldn't have asked for nicer weather. The trek down 51 was nice and the pace was very manageable. Once we got south of 67, the pace picked up and the Daytona finally got a chance to stretch it's legs. The roads down there really are some of the best in North Texas. Nice elevation changes, high speed sweepers, low speed tighter turns with mutiple transitions. I really need to rig up my video camera next time I head down there.

It was nice seeing Doug ride with his daughter Diana. It made me think about hopefully one day before too long taking my own girls for rides with me. Though obviously at a much more moderate pace.

Anyway the day was fantastic and I really have come to enjoy riding with the Squid Squad and company. Maybe I'll be able to talk them into a trip down to Bandera to blitz the Hill Country sometime this Fall.

Anyway, onto the pictures.

Misfire's new ride:



A sea of Zookies with a sprinkling of Euros:



The Non-Zooks:




The Riders:




And apparently Bandit really missed me and thought my sweaty leathers smelled great:

No comments: