Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sharks and Phantoms, Gear Review

So here's a quick entry to give some product feedback/first impressions. I've had my eye on a Shark helmet for quite a while. I stopped into Motoliberty about a year ago and was really impressed by features and fit of the RSR but couldn't quite convince myself that the improved safety features and ventilation really warranted the increase in cost. I recently started checking prices again and thanks to an ebay transaction that got refunded thanks to a break-in I decided to call Motoliberty again and see what they might have in stock. I guess patience can sometimes pay off as they were offering a pretty good discount on their display models. I went ahead and purchased a dark tinted mirror visor.

Shark RSR 2 - Foggy Legend Black:




Riding impressions after a quick hour jaunt:
The first thing that jumps out when you're wearing the helmet is how much lighter it feels. I've been very pleased with the Scorpion Exo 400 and 700's but there's a noticeable weight savings with the Shark. It also has superb aerodynamics. The cheek pads are much snugger than on my Scorpion and seem to come forward further than the Scorpion. We'll see how this feels after the helmet has had a chance to break-in. The Shark also seems to have a snugger fit at the base of the back of the head. All in all the fit seems snugger and holds more of my head inside the helmt.

Once under way I was really impressed by how well air vents through the helmet. The vent on top of the helmet especially seemed to channel a lot of air over the top of my head. Since the temperatures didn't get above 85 during the quick ride, I can't be sure how well it would deal with a more typical summer day but it did seem to be as good if not better than the Scorpion. The final feature that I really liked was the free range of adjustment you have for the visor position. It doesn't have the ratchet points that are typical on most helmets. With the RSR there is constant tension that allows you to position the visor at any point in the range of travel. This will likely be one of the best features for hot summer days.


Olympia Phantom riding impressions:


I just love this thing. Where to start... First, it's so easy to get in and out of it thanks to zippers on the legs that come all the way to the hips. Once inside the suit, the venting system is fantastic. There are zippers along the arms and in the chest that allow you to open air vents that bring fresh air into and around the suit.



The day was fairly mild for a late June summer morning, but I really got plenty of air inside the suit. Once underway, the suit is really comfortable and doesn't flap around at all thanks to adjusters on the arms and the torso that allow you to snug up the fit. It's also nice having cargo pockets in the thighs that give you quick access to a wallet or cell phone.

I really am looking forward to trying this suit on a longer trip in a few weeks.

No comments: