Saturday, May 17, 2008

Nina, the British Blonde Bombshell



So a few months ago (see entry somewhere below) having soured on a sales experience that was going to lead me to a GSXR 750, I test drove a Daytona 675... It was lust at first sign and proof positive that even a 40 year old man could still have crazy teenager fantasies. Having to replace the FJR really put a kink in the schedule I had in mind for trying to pick up a track bike, but given an anticipated trip to New Mexico in July '08 for a tour and track event, I knew I'd have to make some kind of purchase between May and June.

After setting that as a goal I then came up with the plan to get there. The only tricky thing was my reliance on bonus money and it's unpredictable nature. But given my unwillingness to tap any of the normal cash flow and savings plans, that really was the only option. Part of me worried that I'd end up on an SV650 instead of the Daytona.

Fast forward several months and it's now mid-May. I realize it's time to start looking at options and make some phone calls. I called the dealer that had originally let me take a Daytona for a test drive. He ran the numbers and told me that out the door I'd be looking at $10,200. Since my plan is to really have the bike for the track, I started thinking about how stupid I'd feel wadding up a brand new bike at the track so I asked if they had any used Daytonas. He said not at the moment but that I could check back later. I decided to go ahead and make some other calls.

My next call went to RPM Cycles in Dallas (www.rpmcycletx.com) and wouldn't you know it? He had a Scorched Yellow '07 Daytona with only 3,100 miles for sale. Price? 7,000. Even with tax and fees, I'd still be looking at almost 3,000 less than a brand new bike without the anxiety of possible track damage. My schedule was tight for the coming week so I gave Boris a deposit to hold the bike for a week. I finally got a chance to see it a week later and made the deal.

This morning bright and early I got my crew of ladies together and we made the trek to Dallas, arriving 5 minutes after they opened. Some signatures here and there a check changing hands and boom... my sexy British Blonde Bombshell is coming home. Once she got home and I got to work cleaning her up, the name Nina came to mind. What do you think, does Nina work?











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new 675 even though I'm a bit late!