Monday, March 13, 2006

What now?

So here's the scoop. I've always been more than a little leary of these blogger types who feel compelled to share all sorts of things with the world. So why am I doing this? Maybe for posterity's sake but primarily as an easy means of sharing some of the goings ons of one particular aspect of my life with family and friends. So you're not going to come here and find all sorts of drama or angst. What you will find here are regular updates of my developing life on two-wheels.

About a year ago I started to consider getting back on a bike. I've never been much of a cruiser type so a Harley was never really an option, but I really didn't think my body (especially my back) could stand up to the contortions of a modern sport bike. I spent a lot of time thinking and reading and finally decided a sport tourer would not only fit the ergonomic part of the equation but would also preserve the fun factor while allowing me to get out and see the sights.

As I started looking I found that there were many solid options out there. BMW has some great models but I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of initial investment along with the maintainance cost associated with them. Honda has a fantastic ST, but a little more on the tourer side of the equation. I finally decided the FJR1300 from Yamaha had the right mix of sport and tour. The downside is that Yamaha does this funky PDP program which means I had to deposit last October and have been not so patiently waiting for April to roll around so I can take delivery.

You can dig up more info on the FJR here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/180/0/home.aspx

No comments: